Hartford – Commuters using the Hartford line will soon have to make adjustments for much of the summer, as CTrail announced this week that renovations at Hartford and Windsor stations will close train service on the line from July 18 until July 11. september.
Replacement bus service will be made available for most trains along the Hartford Line, which connects Springfield and New Haven with daily commuter rail service, according to a statement from CTrail, which plans to release a full schedule for here on July 1st.
Renovations include replacing the Union Station platform canopy roof, improving lighting on the boarding platform and replacing gutters, according to the release. A grade stabilization and communications and signaling system maintenance project will take place at Windsor Station.
“With the completion of these two projects, users will benefit from safer and more efficient rail service and infrastructure,” the statement said.
Some commuters shared their feelings about the service disruption on social media.
“Really sad…but Union Station needs a LOT of work,” one commenter said. “Better to do it now in the summer than any other time.”
“It’s going to be a long summer,” said another commenter.
Fares will be collected on replacement buses, the statement said.
“Passengers are required to purchase a CTrail or Amtrak ticket to board replacement buses,” the statement said.
The commuter and leisure transport service, created 4 years ago, just returned to a full schedule of 32 trains last July. Due to the pandemic, the number of trains was reduced to 10 on weekdays from March to July 2020. From July 2020 to July 2021, there were 22 trains per day during the week.
Amtrak is also impacted by the repairs and has provided the following adjustments made along the line to its schedule.
- Train 432 is canceled – operates via bus.
- Trains 451, 473, 475, 417, 490, 495, 471, 470, 474, 476, 412 are canceled and will operate as buses.
- Adjusted train schedule for train 55 between Springfield and New Haven.
- Added new deadhead train 995 (Monday to Friday).
- Deadhead trains 5550 and 5552 will run 15 minutes earlier starting July 18.
- Trains 495 and 471 will operate from Greenfield, Mass., to Springfield only and 15 minutes earlier.
- Trains 450, 465, 416 are removed and will operate as buses.
- Added new deadhead train 988 (Saturday).
- Train 460 will only run on Sundays.
- Train 458 will run on Saturday.
- Timetable adapted for train 140.
- Schedule adjusted for train 497.
- Timetable adapted for train 57.
- Timetable adapted for train 54.
- Train 148 will terminate in New Haven.
- Train 147 will depart from New Haven.
- Train 140 will terminate in New Haven.
- Train 54 will terminate in New Haven.
- Train 57 will depart from New Haven.
- Train 157 will depart from New Haven.
- Trains 405, 463, 409, 465, 467, 497,488, 450, 460,461, 464, 416, 432 will not run.
- Train 451 is canceled and will operate as a bus.
- Train 141 will depart from New Haven.
Ted Glanzer can be reached at [email protected]