Signing of a new agreement for the Verona-Padua high-speed train

The IRICAV DUE consortium has signed an agreement to start work on part of the Verona-Bivio Vicenza section of the Verona-Padua high-speed line.

The Webuild group and its consortium partner IRICAV DUE signed an agreement five months in advance with Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (Gruppo Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane) to start work on the second and last construction lot of the first functional lot of Verona – Bivio Vicenza section of Verona-Padua high speed / high capacity railway valued at 1.596 million euros.

Webuild – which owns 83 percent of IRICAV DUE, and Hitachi Rail the remaining 17 percent – also signed an agreement for the final design of the Vicenza level crossing, valued at around 720 million euros and belonging to the second batch functional.

Work should begin on the entire first functional lot of the railway line, one of the public works of which is financed by the recovery fund. The completion date is set for December 31, 2026. The acceleration of the work was made possible by government measures related to the fund and Webuild’s experience in reducing the deadlines for certain preliminary operations, as well as the acquisition by the Astaldi Group, which already belonged to the consortium.

New jobs must be created, as well as opportunities for the supply chain, giving a countercyclical economic boost in times of crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The first functional lot of the railway line between Verona and Bivio di Vicenza will extend for 44.2 km through 13 municipalities. By quadrupling the existing railway, the project has been valued at a combined total of around 4.8 billion euros, which represents an important link across the northeast of the country.

In addition, it will promote more sustainable mobility in a key area for the transport of goods from the north and east, thereby reducing the impact on the environment and the problems associated with road traffic.

The second functional lot which concerns the crossing of Vicenza will pass through the municipalities of Altavilla Vicentina, Creazzo, Sovizzo, Torri di Quartesolo and Vicenza. A new stop is planned at Fiera, while work will be undertaken on the main station and the historic line.

The project, which is part of the high-speed / high-capacity railway between Milan and Venice, will belong to the Mediterranean corridor that will connect Spain and Ukraine. As one of the strategic trans-European transport corridors (called the TEN-T core network), it will support traffic between Europe and Asia. In Europe, meanwhile, it will provide traffic between the southern and eastern regions. With the addition of the Milan-Venice line to the national network, 75% of the Italian population will have access to high-speed rail service.

The project is one of the most important projects in Italy under development by We are building, which is also participating in the development of the Bicocca-Catenanuova section of the Palermo-Catania line in Sicily; the Terzo Valico dei Giovi and Genoa Junction, which will strengthen the links between the port and the main railway lines of northern Italy and northern Europe; the Brenner base tunnel between Verona and Munich; the M4 metro line in Milan; and two sections of the high speed Naples – Bari railway line.

About Kevin Strickland

Check Also

Dean David Van Slyke on the recently passed infrastructure bill

Reporters seeking expert advice on all infrastructure issues, please see comments from David M. Van …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *